He also served as leader of the Indian National Congress, Premier of the Madras Presidency, Governor of West Bengal, Minister for Home Affairs of the Indian Union and Chief Minister of Madras state.
Key2: Rajagopalachari founded the Swatantra Party and was one of the first recipients of India’s highest civilian award, the Bharat Ratna.
3. Who was the first Indian Commander-in-Chief of free India Army?- G.K. Madappa Cariappa, 1949
(First Kasmir war)
Key2: He got the five-star rank of field marshal.
Key3: Field marshal is a five–star general officer rank and the highest attainable rank in the Indian Army.
4. Who was the first Indian Army officer to be promoted to the rank of field marshal? – Jamshedji Manekshaw
Key1: Jamshedji Manekshaw popularly known as Sam Bahadur (“Sam the Brave”), was the Chief of the Army Staff of the Indian Army during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.
Key2: Manekshaw joined the first intake of the Indian Military Academy (IMA) in 1932.
Key3: Indian Military Academy is in Dehradoon (Army Officer training academy established in 1932)
5. Who was the first speaker of LokSabha? – Sri G.V. Mavalanker(15 May1952- 27 Feb 1956)
Key1: Mavalankar popularly known as Dadasaheb was an independence activist, the President (from 1946 to 1947) of the Central Legislative Assembly, then Speaker of the Constituent Assembly of India.
Key2: He was also the first Speaker of the Lok Sabha.
Key3: Loksabha is also called the lower house of the Parliament of India.
6. Who was the first President of India? – Dr. Rajendra Prasad(1950-1962)
Key1: He was an Indian political leader, and lawyer by training, Prasad joined the Indian National Congress during the Indian Independence Movement and became a major leader from the region of Bihar.
Key2: The Indian National Congress is a broadly based political party in India. Founded in 1885, it was the first modern nationalist movement to emerge in the British Empire in Asia.
Key3: Prasad was elected as President of the Constituent Assembly of India.
Key4: Constituent Assembly of India was proposed in 1934 by M. N. Roy, a pioneer of the Communist movement in India. It became an official demand of the Indian National Congress in 1935, C. Rajagopalachari voiced the demand for a Constituent Assembly on 15 November 1939.
7. Who was the first Vice-President of India? – Dr. Radhakrishnan(1952-1962)
Key1: He was an Indian philosopher and second President of India from 1962 to 1967.
Key2: Radhakrishnan was awarded Bharat Ratna, the highest civilian award in India, in 1954.
Key3: The Bharat Ratna is the highest civilian award of the Republic of India. Instituted in 1954.
Key4: The first recipients of the Bharat Ratna were politician C. Rajagopalachari, philosopher Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, and scientist C. V. Raman in 1954.
Key5: Cricketer Sachin Tendulkar, aged 40, became the youngest recipient of Bharat Ratan award.
8. Who was the first Prime Minister of India? – Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
9. Who was the first Home Minister of India? – Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel.
Key1: Vallabhbhai Jhaverbhai Patel popularly known as Sardar Patel, was the 1st Deputy Prime Minister of India and also first Home Minister of India.
Key2: He acted as Supreme Commander-in-chief of Indian army during the Political integration of India and Indo-Pakistani War of 1947.
10. Who was the first Finance Minister of India? – R.K. Shanmukham Chetty(1947-1949)
Key1: He also served as President of India’s Central Legislative Assembly from 1933 to 1935.
Key2: Chetty presented the first Budget in parliament on 26 Nov 1947.
11. Who was the first Chief Election Commissioner of India? – Sukumar Sen
Key: The Chief Election Commissioner heads the Election Commission of India who conducts free and fair elections to the national and state legislatures and of President and Vice-President.
12. Who was the first Chief Justice of Supreme Court? – Justice Hiralal J. Kaniya
13. Who was the first person to join the Indian Civil Service? – Satendra Nath Tagore, June 1863
14. Who was the first Marshal of Indian Air Force? – Arjan Singh
Key1: Arjan Singh served as Chief of Air Staff from 1964 to 1969.
Key2: He was awarded the Padma Vibhushan for commanding the IAF during Indo-Pak war of 1965.
Key3: In 2002, he became the first and only officer of the Indian Air Force to be promoted to five-star rank as Marshal of the Indian Air Force, equal to the army rank of Field Marshal.
Key4: Marshal of the air force is the most senior rank in a number of air forces.
15. Who was the first Governor of RBI? – Osborne Smith.